|Each month we add at least one new recipe to our site. The requirement is that the recipe somehow must include wine somewhere, and of course, it must be something you can whip up while consuming wine.
Every recipe will have our Drinking Notes and Cooking Notes. These notes will also include our wine selections for the recipe and what we consumed over the course of the evening. All are fun, most will be very helpful as you try them.
1) Never cook with wine you wouldn't drink! It's been said for generations that when wine is no longer suitable for drinking, just keep it and use it for cooking. We don't subscribe to that notion, nor should you. The reasons are many, but first and foremost to us, wine goes South after a day, and even if you have state of the art wine preservers, it won't last long enough for you to use a cup per week for several months.
2) Always taste it before you put it in your recipe. If it's turned, throw it out. Most wineries and stores will replace a bad bottle if it's right off the shelf, and many will do so long after that if you have stored it properly, especially if they know you to be a good customer.
3) When selecting the wine with which you cook, it's not so much red versus white, but the aromas and tastes of the wine which you are after. The recipes which we feature will have the wines which we used, along with links to the wineries. These wines may not be available to you, depending on the vintage and where you live (see Distribution in Virginia in our last newsletter), so try to find wine with similar characteristics to the ones we used.
4) You might not like the same wines we do; we know that, so be creative and try some other wines which you do like. We will try a recipe several times with different wines before we settle on the one we like best.
5) Try these recipes at least once before serving them to others. We don't always adhere to this one, but our guests are all wine drinkers, so no one cares if we give it to the dog and order a pizza! (Just be sure to have a good pizza wine handy.)